Over 500 people gathered last Thursday night at the VIATeC Technology Awards in Victoria to applaud the technology community's success for making Greater Victoria a leader in advanced technology in Canada.
Now in it's tenth year, the awards went big and ran a late night themed show with props, gadgets and cameo appearances such as Marty the Marmot. The night was filled with entertaining commentary, videos, live music and a giant Flash Mob/ Lip Dub extravaganza at the end of the night, which included 50 inflated Orcas.
Not only was the tech community giving out recognition, but they were also celebrating the re-branding of Victoria, to “Tectoria”. Tectoria is now advertised at the Victoria International Airport, having 50% of the baggage claim backlit advertisements, and is now online at www.welcometotectoria.ca.
The Winners of the 2011 VIATeC Technology Awards are:
- Technology Company of the Year: GeoDigital International Inc.
- Emerging Technology Company of the Year: Checkfront Inc.
- The Colin Lennox Award for Technology Champion: Tony Melli
- Education Champion: Sanjai Sundher
- Product of the Year: PC Health Advisor, ParetoLogic
- Executive of the Year: Scott Phillips, CEO Starfish Medical Inc.
- Innovative Excellence: Wifarer Inc.
- Environmental Excellence: Carmanah Technologies Corporation
- Online Strategy of the Year: Atomic Crayon
- Employee/Team of the Year: Denis Morais, ShipConstructor Software Inc.
- Employer of the Year: Reliable Controls Corporation
- VIATeC Member of the Year: Daniels Electronics
- Member’s Choice for Service Provider of the Year: LL Brougham Inc., Chartered Accountant