Eleven of Calgary and Southern Alberta’s top tech companies were named Tech Rev Innovators for 2014 last night, February 11, at Mount Royal University in Calgary. Over 600 nominations were received this year, the fifth such event for TechRev.
This year’s crop of awardees comes from vastly different sectors served by technology. They are:
- Benevity – a software social enterprise that offers companies solutions and services to boost their Corporate Philanthropy and make a difference.
- CodeExcellence – a cloud computing company whose software quality monitoring and governance products eliminate potential system crashes.
- Calgary Scientific – a technology company focused on the medical industry, their FDA-cleared ResolutionMD technology provides access and collaboration for diagnostic healthcare records over the web and on mobile devices.
- Decisive Farming – a cloud-based SaaS which offers growers in Western Canada with tools to increase their farm profitability, and is wholly integrated from field to market.
- Lumiant Corporation – a material manufacturing company, their flagship product TitanMade® is has the strength of steel alloys but is less than half the weight, and can withstand temperatures up to 900°C.
- MRF Geosystems Corporation – specializes in GIS-related application development data conversion and GIS consulting services, and has over 6,000 customers in 40 countries worldwide.
- Nanalysis Corporation – develops and manufactures portable Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) devices for the laboratory instrumentation space, and gives NMR spectroscopy capabilities directly to chemists.
- Packers Plus – invented open hole, multi-stage fracture stimulation systems, and continues to build new technologies for specific oil and gas applications.
- Tactalis (Invici) – created interactive tactile computer interface and online content store that aims to change the way blind and visually impaired people explore, create and share digital media.
- TEKTELIC Communications – designs and develops small cell wireless solutions, addressing 3G and 4G Service Provider coverage and rapidly growing data requirements.
- TetraSeis – develops seismic data processing technologies that have set industry standards in direct seismic imaging of sub-vertical discontinuities, solving a number of exploration and production challenges
“This year’s TechRev Innovators represent the ingenuity and 'can do' spirit that has become synonymous with Calgary,” says Peter Garrett, President of Innovate Calgary. “The influence on our economy and contribution to developing innovative solutions and products that can have global impact is helping build our city’s reputation as one of the leading innovation eco-systems in Canada.”
The newest class of TechRev Innovators celebrated their achievements along with other Calgary companies who contributed to the success of the city’s tech sector over the past year. The occasion capped off a week of celebration from Innovate Calgary’s 2014 Report to Community event last Monday, February 3.
Tech Rev, an initiative of Innovate Calgary, recognizes local technology companies who have achieved milestones in the past year. The invitation-only reception last night gathered more than 300 of Calgary’s most influential tech movers and shakers including entrepreneurs, investors, partners, suppliers and former TechRev Innovators Award recipients.
Nominations for the 2015 TechRev Innovators will open in September.
In conjunction with the TechRev Innovators celebration last night the annual "YYCTECH: Spotlight on Innovation report" will be released today. YYCTECH is a joint initiative between Innovate Calgary and the Calgary Herald.