An estimated $8 billion worth of physical goods is ordered online in Canada each year for residential deliveries, and that figure is forecast to grow to more than $15 billion by 2016.
Total expenditures on Canadian e-commerce business-to-consumer shipping services alone were more than $600 million in 2011.
Canada Post sees this growth everyday and this morning they announced that they are teaming up with Ottawa's Shopify to deliver a complete online retail solution for small businesses and retailers across Canada.
Together, the companies have created an inclusive platform, complete with a fully integrated shipping solution, that will allow retailers to become online merchants almost instantly.
The Canada Post application combines Shopify's user-friendly e-commerce platform with a streamlined shipping process including easy-print labels, and automatically calculated shipping rates. Additionally, Shopify is offering all Canada Post VentureOne members the ability to set up an online store for free - with no bill to pay for three full months. The Shopify solution enables merchants to easily create a website and sell their products online. It takes only minutes to set up a store, display products and start selling.
"For centuries, Canada Post has been an enabler of trade and commerce in this country. And we will continue to play an even stronger role in this burgeoning digital economy," says René Desmarais, Senior Vice-president, Parcels at Canada Post. "And teaming up with leading e-commerce providers can only help to promote our country's digital economy in the long term."
"Starting an online store from scratch used to be a daunting experience for many," says Harley Finkelstein, Chief Platform Officer of Shopify. "Shopify streamlines the process and makes it easy for anyone with a product or service to launch, manage and grow their own online store."
The all-in-one e-commerce solution allows Shopify merchants to:
- Provide accurate Canada Post shipping rates to their shoppers during the checkout process.
- Print and track shipping labels through a centralized interface that is directly integrated with their Shopify store.
- Have custom control over label options, such as shipping method override, delivery confirmation required, insurance, ID on delivery, and more.
- Streamline their order fulfillment process through automatic fulfillment of printed labels.
- Send a custom tracking page to each shopper once their order is fulfilled.
The Canada Post application for Shopify is available for download now at www.shopify.com/canadapost, or through the Shopify App store.