Early this week Communitech announced that The Tannery in downtown Kitchener will become the "centre for innovation in digital media."
The Hub will offer not only office space, but a collaborative environment where emerging companies can learn from the expertise of more established digital media companies from the area and leverage shared tools. President and CEO of Communitech envisions that "The Hub will take advantage of the spirit of collaboration that underpins the tech community in Waterloo Region and will be the perfect foundation for digital media innovation here and across the Province."
Expected to open this summer, the Communitech Hub: Digital Media and Mobile Accelerator will consist of:
- 30,000 square foot open innovation hub bringing together knowledge, activities, tools and expertise;
- 5,700 square feet dedicated to enabling entrepreneurs to 'incubate' ideas in close proximity to tools and services they need to succeed;
- 3,000 square feet allocated to partner lab space with platforms and tools provided by established partner companies including RIM, Open Text, Agfa HealthCare, and Christie Digital Systems;
- A versatile immersive environment with reconfigurable projection and display systems;
- Executive Briefing Centre and full video-conferencing capability;
- A suite of expert resources including entrepreneurs-in-residence, project manager support, marketing and branding expertise.
Become part of the Hubbub Group for updates on the site's progress here.