Vancouver's Energy Aware Technology announced yesterday that it has licensed the technology for its innovative PowerTab to Comverge, Inc, a leading provider of clean energy through demand response. The PowerTab is an In Home Display (IHD) that provides homeowners with real-time information on power consumption, electricity rates and messages from their utility service provider.
Energy Aware provides innovative demand management solutions for today's changing electrical grid. If you've toured the Millennium Water presentation centre in False Creek, you have seen Energy Aware's PowerTab in action as their monitoring products are being installed in the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Village.
Yesterday's news does not come of much of a surprise considering Energy Aware's trajectory over the past three years. I like to think of them as a poster child for young entrepreneurism in British Columbia as they have capitalized on all the great resources and financial support available. Have a look at their successes to date:
- Company formed during a unique collaborative UBC course called New Venture Design which brought together engineering and business students
- Won first place at Enterprize Canada - a national business plan competition and conference hosted by the Sauder School of Business
- Won $20,000 BC Hydro Sustainability Award at New Ventures BC competition
- Won $15,000 in the Lee Kuan Yew Global Business Plan Competition
- Presented at Angel Forum in Vancouver
- Developing prototypes and were part a successful bid on the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Village
- PowerTab Energy Monitor Model on display in Millennium Water Presentation Centre
- Successfuly closed an Angel round of funding
- Named to Emerging Rockets 2008 list by Rocket Builders