MaRS announced support for five Ontario businesses through the Investment Accelerator Fund (IAF) today. The IAF provides an equity-type investment to businesses that develop and bring to market innovative new technologies or services.
The IAF and its related program, the Investment Accelerator Fund-Life Sciences (IAF-LS), support the launch and development of innovative companies in Ontario's priority sectors: advanced materials and manufacturing, information technology, cleantech and life sciences. The IAF support also helps these businesses to attract additional investment. The IAF has committed to supporting each of the following businesses:
- Verold: This software company has developed a content creation platform that significantly reduces the time required to create ready-to-animate 3D content for media consumption (games, web content and AR/VR worlds).
- FuturestateIT: The company offers a SaaS solution called AppRx that automates the monitoring and testing of applications to ensure they are kept current, compatible and compliant with changes in the IT environment.
- SurfEasy: SurfEasy has developed a USB key that improves Internet privacy and security through password protection and encryption. The USB key securely stores the user's web history, bookmarks and passwords, ensuring no personal data is left behind on the computer or network.
- GreenMantra: GreenMantra uses a proprietary catalyst to economically produce commercial quality waxes and fuels by recycling plastics. The company's pilot facility is now consistently producing waxes that have been evaluated by over 20 potential customers.
- Interface Biologics: Interface Biologics Inc. (IBI) is a privately held, early-stage company that develops transformative biomedical polymer technology to improve the safety and effectiveness of medical devices. The company focuses on 1) anti-thrombogenic additives that reduce thrombosis without the need for heparin and 2) programmable combination drug delivery devices.