Web development is a relatively new breed of business—after all, the web was only invented in the early 90s, and while the potential was clearly there, it wasn't a mainstream hit straight away. But now, how could we imagine ourselves without it?
The businesses in this list certainly can't. Using data compiled by Business in Vancouver, I assembled a list of the 5 biggest web-development companies based on their Vancouver office headcount. I identify whether the comapny has downsized from last year (–), maintained its headcount (=), or grown its staff (+), plus note the year it was founded. Clearly, web dev's importance isn't fading, as the entire list trends toward growth.
1. Blast Radius, founded in 1996, employs 175. (+)
2. Habanero Consulting, founded in 1996, employs 70. (+)
3. FCV, founded in 2005, employs 48. (+)
4. Graphically Speaking, founded in 1986, employs 45. (+)
5. CityMax, founded in 1999, employs 35. (=)