The North by Northeast (NXNE) Music & Film Festival and Conference is adding an interactive component to its event for 2010 in Toronto. The move comes thanks to a new collaborative partnership between NXNE and FITC (Flash In The Can), the popular Flash and motion design conference. The new interactive conference of the NXNE festival that will be added is called NXNE Interactive, or NXNEi.
While the NXNE festival has been around for over a decade, the Toronto event has lacked an interactive component and members of the Toronto interactive community have had travel to Austin, Texas for South by Southwest (SXSW) for a similar experience. SXSW is one of the largest music festivals in the United States, as well as one of the world’s premiere film festivals.
One unique aspect about both NXNEi and the SXSW’s interactive conference is that besides including keynotes by industry leaders, they also include panel discussions that are chosen by event attendees.
NXNEi has created a new forum for the open submission of panel ideas and feedback. The NXNEi Panel Picker is run on the popular customer feedback website UserVoice. Users can submit their own panels, and can vote up other panels that they’d like to see at the event.
Highlights of NXNEi include:
- 2 full days of presentations, plus one optional day of pre-event workshops
- Presentations and panels covering creative aspects of technology, social media and new trends
- Prime downtown location at NXNE Festival headquarters in the Hyatt Regency Toronto
At the time of this writing the three panels with the highest number of votes include:
- “Social media circle jerking 101” with Jaime Woo
- “Marketing your next video games is about visibility” with Duane Brown
- “Designing a Web App” with Daniel Schutzsmith
A closing date for panel submissions and voting have not yet been announced. NXNEi will take place on June 15-16, 2010 at the Hyatt Regency Toronto.