Do you want to use your software skills where they will have a real impact on the business’s bottom line and the performance of a global online marketplace?
AbeBooks.com – a subsidiary of Amazon.com Inc. – is looking for a junior engineer with a strong sense of ownership and customer focus. If you are excited about the prospect of leveraging technology to address the technical and analytical challenges of running a large scale global marketplace, with thousands of international sellers listing more than 140 million new, used, rare, and out-of-print books, we’d like to meet you.
This position is based at our headquarters in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We also have a European office in Dusseldorf, Germany and from these two locations we run six international web sites: AbeBooks.com, AbeBooks.co.uk, AbeBooks.de, AbeBooks.fr, AbeBooks.it, and IberLibro.com.
As a member of our development team you will build and extend a wide range of systems, from buyer and seller registration, through search and inventory management, to order and payment processing. The diversity of these systems ensures that this position offers a broad and exciting range of technical challenges and opportunities.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Experience developing with Java 5/6
• Solid understanding of OOD/OOP
• BS/MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Solid background in algorithms and data structures
• Excellent communication skills
• Able to learn quickly and dive deeply to diagnose the root cause of problems
Understanding of the following would also be beneficial:
• Information retrieval and search
• Relational databases and SQL
• Service-oriented architectures
• Agile practices and methodologies such as Test Driven Development and Scrum
AbeBooks provides competitive salaries and great benefits. If you enjoy constantly broadening your technical skills, building software that affects users around the world, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity and product innovation, please check out www.abebooks.com/careers to learn more or to apply online.
At AbeBooks, we are passionate about serving our customers, solving hard problems, and creating great products. In order to get a better idea of what makes you awesome, we encourage you to provide short answers to the following optional questions as part of your application:
1) Tell us about the system you are most proud to have worked on (inside or outside of work) and your role in its development.
2) What from your previous experience do you think will allow you to thrive in this role?
3) What has been the best thing you have done for your customers?
We appreciate your interest in AbeBooks!
- Date Posted:
- May 23, 2014 10:44 AM PDT
AbeBooks is an online marketplace for books. Millions of new, used, rare, and out-of-print books are offered for sale through the AbeBooks websites from thousands of booksellers around the world. Readers can find bestsellers, collectors can find rare books, students can find new and used textbooks, and treasure hunters can find long-lost books. AbeBooks Inc. is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. AbeBooks, an online... more