Do you enjoy attracting new business and investments? Do you excel in a dynamic and fast-paced environment? Do you love our city as much as we do?
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with experience and a passion for fostering business opportunities. You will primarily be responsible for attracting new business and investment to the Ottawa region, retaining existing businesses in the Ottawa region, and facilitating business expansion. You will provide face-to-face contact and support for software businesses, and will manage interactions within the software sector. Reporting to the Managing Director, Investment and Trade, you will also work closely with other Business Development Managers to coordinate activities.
By joining Invest Ottawa, you will have the chance to learn about the inner workings of Ottawa’s entrepreneurship, startup and business community. You will experience first-hand how Invest Ottawa delivers economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum, wealth and jobs in Ottawa and its surrounding region. Our mission is to make Ottawa the best place in Canada to start and grow a knowledge-based business. Invest Ottawa services include startup incubation and mentoring, acceleration for existing companies, global business attraction and local business retention, targeted sector development, commercialization, and marketing Ottawa’s diversified economy and high quality of life.
We manage a thriving location at 80 Aberdeen Street in Little Italy welcoming close to 1,000 visitors each month to attend meetings and workshops to start or grow their businesses in Ottawa. We currently house close to 40 startup incubation companies, in addition to offering the GrindSpace, Ambassador and Soft Landing programs.
We are currently inviting experienced applicants to apply for this full-time opportunity.
Foreign Direct Investments FDI):
- Identifies and facilitates expansion, attraction, relocation, and opportunities within priority the sector;
- Assists in development and execution of incoming foreign missions to promote FDI opportunities;
- Recommends changes to policy and procedures;
- Follows up on leads and keeps management apprised of opportunities.
- In consultation with sector representatives, gathers feedback on services identifies obstacles and resolves issues with respect to expansion, relocation and export opportunities;
- Assists in development and execution of outgoing and incoming trade missions to promote trade and expansion opportunities.
- May require company recruitment and coordination of stakeholder communication;
- Works with trade commissioner network to establish meetings, connections, and opportunities.
Business Retention and Expansion:
- Facilitates increases in the number of companies, investments and sales in the Software industry in Ottawa;
- Recognized as a leader by industry associations, leading business executives in and the media, and gains confidence of the Software sector through regular contact with key executives and public officials who are active in the sector;
- Fosters strategic alliances with like-minded organizations locally, nationally, and internationally in the Software sector;
- Develops initiatives that promote business-to-business partnerships and provide best practices education in sector;
- Initiates, leads and manages special projects designed to advance the sector and to engage/recruit local companies;
- Coordinates and facilitates the development of solutions for industry and organizations to address challenges they face with respect to labour force, real estate, financing, infrastructure etc.
Stays current on key and future business trends, issues, and opportunities and communicates information to colleagues and international network through a variety of channels including social media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the international business communities as well as an understanding of the small, medium and large business markets in the Ottawa region;
- Decision making capability to determine how to select appropriate projects for Invest Ottawa;
- Proven project management experience with the ability to multi-task several projects at once;
- Sound judgment and ability in handling matters of a confidential and/or sensitive nature;
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills are a requirement;
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in Windows, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and CRM software.
Unique Working Conditions:
- Significant independent contact with a wide variety of stakeholders, either locally and/or internationally;
- Actions of the incumbent reflect the City of Ottawa as a whole;
- Fast paced and challenging environment with rapidly changing priorities;
- Long and /or irregular hours including attendance of local or international functions;
- Use of a vehicle and active and valid driver’s license is a requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Marketing, Commerce or Business Administration.
- English oral, reading and writing.
- French oral, reading and writing are highly desirable.
- Competency in Spanish or Portuguese would also be an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the Software industry;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in international business development.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to forward their resume in confidence to Invest Ottawa by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use "BDM for Software" as subject line. Deadline date for receipt of applications is June 24, 2014.
Invest Ottawa thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged. Invest Ottawa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Date Posted:
- Jun 3, 2014 10:12 AM PDT
- Invest Ottawa
Invest Ottawa delivers economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum, wealth and jobs in the City of Ottawa and its surrounding region. Its goal is to make Ottawa the best place in Canada to start and grow a knowledge-based business. Invest Ottawa services include startup incubation and mentorship, acceleration for existing companies, global business attraction and local... more