What We Do
Data Engineers at Shopify support the organization in making better decisions. We deploy and maintain a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of different sources of data, and spend time working with the Data Analysts to model that data into a form supporting analysis. We have a petabyte scale Hadoop cluster running Apache Spark for transformation, and a variety of analytics technologies on top of it.
Data Engineering is also an amazing place to learn: we operate at virtually all levels of the stack, we design tools and frameworks and work closely with their users, and we are constantly trying to master new patterns, technologies, and processes to make Data as useful as it can be at Shopify.
The best part about working at Shopify? The freedom to be you. We value authenticity, openness, and diversity in everything we do. Youâll also get to learn and grow with the best in the business. We want you to do the best work of your career, and weâll give you everything you need to make it happen.
Who We Need
We need passionate software and operations engineers who are excited about data. Data work can be extraordinarily rewarding and extraordinarily frustrating. So, we're looking for people who can work with us to build simple infrastructure and simple code to end up on the rewarding side as often as possible. We run the infrastructure as well as the code on top of it, which means we want people that are excited to step up or down a level to solve the right problem. We want to work with people who have lots to teach and even more to learn, as a co-operative and effective team.
You'll need to have:
- Extensive software development experience. You are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages and paradigms, TDD, etc.
- Extensive database experience. You are familiar with things like SQL query authoring, table design patterns for OLAP and OLTP, a variety of databases, and the tradeoffs between them.
- Infrastructure experience. You'll need to be familiar with administering server clusters, incident response, analyzing performance at all levels of the stack, and capacity planning.
- Data warehousing experience. Ideally, experience with dimensional modelling, metadata management, data cleaning and conforming, and warehouse query patterns.
- Team work experience. You'll need to be someone who enjoys working together with other engineers, discussing solutions to problems, and supporting others in their goals.
It'd be great if you have:
- Python expertise
- Scala expertise
- Tableau Server administration or Tableau Desktop report authoring
- Business Intelligence experience: defining metrics, conforming different definitions, and experimentation methodology
- Hadoop administration, MapReduce job authoring and support
- Remote team/distributed work environment experience
Click "Apply now" - we'd love to hear from you!
Please make your cover letter out to Harry Brundage.
- Date Posted:
- Jan 8, 2016 1:00 AM PST
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single... more