At Shopify, Data Engineers work to clean, model, and analyze a wide variety of data sources. We do this to help business users make better decisions, and power data driven products.
We are building a data warehouse capable of answering the questions listed below (and many more we havenât even thought of yet). This is challenging because we have such high volumes of raw data to process. We use new technologies like Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark to get this done, which makes Data @ Shopify a great place to sharpen your toolset.
You'll answer questions like:
- Is our new checkout system converting customers as effectively as our old system?
- Has this business development opportunity panned out as we hoped?
- How are our support teams performing? What impact on the business do they make?
- What feature of the platform should we suggest a shop owner use now to grow their business?
- How can we effectively predict fraudulent credit card activity?
- What new verticals of shops are performing well and how can we market to them?
You'll need to have:
- Experience developing software (Excel macros and statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, etc) donât count, sadly)
- Passion for data analysis
- Experience authoring SQL and working with data models
- Experience working with Hadoop and/or Spark
- Interest in collaborating, learning, growing, and eventually mentoring junior team members
It'd be great if you also have experience with:
- Working data warehouse dimensional modelling
- Deep software development
- Software as a Service business analysis, familiarity with things like churn rates, long term value estimation, cost of acquisition calculation, etc.
- Authoring Tableau reports
- Coding in Python
You'll be working on things like:
- Creating and maintaining our ETLs
- Understanding the needs of our users throughout the business, and then manipulating raw data into a useful form to fulfill those needs
- Cleaning, modelling, and reconciling data
- Working in teams to collaborate and grow each otherâs skills as data modellers and developers
Here's how to apply:
If youâre interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the âApply nowâ button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Brady Paron.
We're a product company and we value those who know our product.
Build a Shopify store if you haven't already. https://www.shopify.com (Don't spend more than 20 minutes on this - it's meant to get you familiar with the product, not to build a professional looking store). Add the link to your store in the last field below.
In the Additional Information Section, include an example of something youâve done with data, such as: data models or schemas, stories from the field, visualizations, statistical analyses, web sites or apps or anything else you are proud of.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is thisclose to what weâre looking for, please consider applying, even if you arenât able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.Â
- Date Posted:
- Mar 10, 2016 1:01 AM PST
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single... more