Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, or Waterloo
At Shopify, data engineers work as part of the Data Analytics Team to clean, model, and analyze a wide variety of data sources. We do this to help business users make better decisions, and power data driven products. As a data engineer, you will work in a highly collaborative fashion as a core member of the Data Analytics Team, while also working closely with the senior leadership of Shopify. You will develop, maintain, and improve ETL pipelines from multiple internal and external data sources. You will have the opportunity to work with our data platform engineers to improve the overall data stack. You will propose, and implement, new ways to improve our relationships with our partners.
We are building a data warehouse capable of answering the questions listed below (and many more we havenât even thought of yet). This is challenging because we have such high volumes of raw data to process. We use new technologies like Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark to get this done, which makes Data @ Shopify a great place to sharpen your toolset.
You could work with the following organizations within Shopify, among others:
Customer Support - Shopify provides 24/7 customer support to hundreds of thousands ofÂ merchants around the world. Communication between our merchants and our customer support gurus via email, phone, and live chat, generates massive amounts of data. The support team is constantly looking for data-driven ways to improve our merchantsâ experience.
Shopify Plus - Shopify Plus is is helping power commerce for companies like Tesla, RedBull, GE, L'Oreal, Mondelez, Kanye West, Subway, UPS and many more by making enterprise commerce simple. We give high growth, high volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need.This is an incredible opportunity to make an impact on a group in hyper-growth mode.
Business Development - Shopify has developed an extensive network of third parties committed to the platform. These third parties provide services to our merchants, develop new apps and themes for our platform, and provide new avenues for potential customers to discover our services.
You'll answer questions like:
- Is our new checkout system converting customers as effectively as our old system?
- Has this business development opportunity panned out as we hoped?
- How are our support teams performing? What impact on the business do they make?
- What feature of the platform should we suggest a shop owner use now to grow their business?
- How can we effectively predict fraudulent credit card activity?
- What new verticals of shops are performing well and how can we market to them?
You'll need to have:
- Experience developing software (Excel macros and statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, etc) donât count, sadly)
- Passion for data analysis
- Experience authoring SQL and working with data models
- Experience working with the Hadoop ecosystem, especially Spark and/or Kafka
- Interest in collaborating, learning, growing, and eventually mentoring junior team members
It'd be great if you also have experience with:
- Working data warehouse dimensional modelling
- Software as a Service business analysis, familiarity with things like churn rates, long term value estimation, cost of acquisition calculation, etc.
- Authoring reports with Tableau, Qlikview or other data visualization tools
- Coding in Python, Ruby
- Pandas, Scikit-learn, Numpy, Scipy
You'll be working on things like:
- Creating and maintaining our ETLs
- Understanding the needs of our users throughout the business, and then manipulating raw data into a useful form to fulfill those needs
- Cleaning, modelling, and reconciling data
- Working in teams to collaborate and grow each otherâs skills as data modellers and developers
Here's how to apply:
If youâre interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the âApply nowâ button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Nicolas Evans.
Please note: we are accepting applications for this role until Friday June 10, 2016 and will contact applicants after that date.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is thisclose to what weâre looking for, please consider applying, even if you arenât able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.Â
- Date Posted:
- May 17, 2016 1:00 AM PDT
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single... more