At Vena Solutions, our mission is to help smart companies better manage their data, spreadsheets, and files. Our Software-as-a-Service solution leverages the flexibility and ease of use of Excel while adding web-based automated workflows and a powerful cloud-hosted database to make mission-critical Finance and Accounting processes simple. Viewed by many as one of the most innovative Canadian startups, we’re part of a growing industry where there are many opportunities for new solutions and product innovation in response to real world business problems.
About the Role
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to help us build the next generation operating platform to support Vena’s transition to a cloud-based SaaS product. You understand how automation fits in to the development life cycle and enjoy applying new technologies in innovative ways (think Docker, Ansible). You will help develop our continuous delivery pipeline, improve deployment automation and build monitoring and reporting systems in production.
You are a well-rounded programmer and understand how to apply a systems view to software development that incorporates the people, software and infrastructure that is key to Vena’s business. You are an excellent communicator and are excited by the idea of working in a small team that is growing and learning together.
About Our Technologies
We are currently using the following technologies in our solution:
- A small but powerful C# .NET Excel add-in that treats spreadsheets as the window to a client’s data, using VSTO, Excel Interop/VBA, and LINQ technologies.
- A RESTful API built from a Java-based DropWizard framework of Jetty, Jersey, Jackson and Google Guice to support both the web client and Excel add-in.
- RabbitMQ, MongoDB, MySQL and a variety of caching technologies are leveraged in the application server to support the demanding data analytics provided by the API.
- A highly available operations platform currently supported by Amazon AWS cloud infrastructure that provides a variety of services including monitoring, scalability and dynamic controls.
Our technology stack is constantly evolving because we help foster a creative environment where there are many opportunities to take ownership and grow Vena’s product ecosystem. We want to build teams of leaders, innovators and people that share a passion for technology and who are interested in leaving their mark on our product in a fast growing business domain.
- Build and maintain a continuous delivery pipeline
- Build and improve on health monitoring and reporting systems
- Build and support deployment automation
- Maintain the health, stability and security of our Vena Cloud production environment
- Communicate proactively with other teams, develop best practices for documentation and knowledge sharing
- Build and improve on development tools and related workflows
- Work closely with Product Development, QA and Management to build a robust and scalable product and service offering with high customer satisfaction
- Think outside the box, adapting the latest software technologies while developing innovative functionality to improve software performance and usability
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline and/or equivalent experience
- Competent web development and scripting ability
- Software development, deployment and production support experience
- Experience with cloud IaaS (AWS preferred but will consider experience with other providers such as Azure, Rackspace, etc.)
- Experience with system security hardening
- Strong network and performance analysis skills
- Comfortable at the command line
- Strong Windows and Linux experience
- Excellent analytical skills, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate effectively across various departments and with all levels of management
- Exposure to automation engineering (i.e. Chef, Ansible, Puppet, SaltStack, etc.)
- Experience building and supporting web-facing systems
- Java experience
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Local candidates only. No agencies please.
Should you require accommodation throughout any stage of the recruitment and selection process, please describe your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org when making an application and we will be sure any accommodation needs are met.'''
- Date Posted:
- Jul 14, 2014 10:40 AM PDT
- Vena Solutions
About Vena At Vena Solutions, our mission is to help smart companies better manage their data, spreadsheets, and files. Our cloud solution leverages the flexibility and ease of use of widely-used spreadsheets while adding web-based automated workflows and a powerful cloud-hosted database to make mission-critical Finance and Accounting processes simple. Viewed by many as one of the most innovative Canadian... more