As Director of Production Operations you are responsible for defining and implementing a vision for how HootSuite builds, deploys and manages a globally distributed hybrid cloud infrastructure.
You have proven capability to both lay out a strategic plan for supporting HootSuite’s rapidly growing user base and rapidly iterating SaaS application, and to build and manage activities of diverse teams of technologists who are putting those strategies into effect.
You are ultimately responsible for the health of our production infrastructure by embracing rapid change and working collaboratively to address issues that surface. You communicate openly with customers and HootSuite’s business units to understand needs, distribute responsibility and plan accordingly.
- Work with our Product Development team to understand application capacity requirements and develop a roadmap for supporting it through scale out of our existing hybrid cloud infrastructure
- Build and manage activities of a team of network engineers, operations engineers and software engineers who support our production infrastructure
- Build a 24/7 monitoring and support capability for our infrastructure
- Direct development of tools that allow responsibility for troubleshooting to be distributed to engineering and support teams
- Direct development of tools that provide visibility into the health of our infrastructure to internal stakeholders and customers
- Direct R&D initiatives around improving platform architecture with focus on security, performance, availability
- Develop, implement and test DR plans and contribute to HootSuite’s broader BC plan
- Reduce “bus factor” by encouraging processes that are highly visible and produce usable documentation as a byproduct
- Help to increase HootSuite’s exposure to the tech community by participating in community events and speaking about our practices and systems
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years experience building and managing cross functional teams of engineers
- 5+ years supporting globally distributed web application infrastructure
- 10+ years experience working in operations supporting large scale web application environments
- Things you understand deeply: VMware, CloudStack, Ansible (or at least Puppet / Chef), AWS, CDNs (Cloudfront or other), HAProxy/NginX, Nagios, Apache, MySQL, memcache
- Experience working with one or more of the following vendors: Cisco, Dell, Force10, F5
- Experience with cross-functional communication - can speak to executives, product development staff or customers
- Embrace DevOps culture
- Thrives in an agile environment
Who You’ll be Working With:
- Jeff Oliver
- Gavin MacDonald
- Simon Stanlake CTO (@sedsimon)
- Date Posted:
- Jan 24, 2014 2:04 PM PST
- HootSuite Media, Inc.
HootSuite is a social relationship platform for businesses and organizations to collaboratively execute social media strategies across multiple social networks from one secure, web-based dashboard. Launch marketing campaigns, identify and grow audience, and distribute targeted messages using HootSuite’s unique social media dashboard. Streamline team workflow with scheduling and assignment tools and reach audiences... more