Toronto's MaRS Discovery District is one of the world's largest urban innovation centres, cultivating high-impact ventures and equipping innovators to drive economic and social prosperity in Canada. MaRS supports entrepreneurs in the sectors of media and technology, cleantech and healthcare by providing them with advice, education and market research, and connecting them to talent, customers and capital. An independent registered charity, MaRS also works with private and public sector partners to create solutions that open market access for ventures and generate social impact.
Introduction to the Role
MaRS offers experiential workshops (www.marsdd.com/workshops) that help early stage technology entrepreneurs with marketing communications, B2B sales processes, pitching, customer development and business models in a small group setting, and we’re looking to add a new finance series to our offerings for entrepreneurs around Ontario. Drawing on your own experience working in finance and exposure to business-building, you’ll have the opportunity to support and guide our entrepreneurial clients with frameworks and knowledge to help them build and think through their startup’s key financial components.
This is an opportunity to support the growth of small business in Ontario with the latest thinking in entrepreneurship education while connecting with the energy and optimism of entrepreneurs (of all ages) on a daily basis. It’s an expansive job that will see you wear many different hats and work with a passionate team.
Key Job Responsibilities
As part of the MaRS Entrepreneurship Programs team and the Business Acceleration Program (BAP), and reporting to the Manager, Entrepreneurship Programs, the Facilitator, Entrepreneurship Education is responsible for the planning, design and delivery of a new series of finance workshops for the Ontario Network of Excellence (ONE) across the province.
• Working closely with advisors, members of the ONE network and the MaRS Education team to effectively assess client requirements for advanced education.
• Planning and designing a new finance series of live workshops in tandem with subject matter experts and other facilitators. The new finance workshops will offer entrepreneurs the hands-on training to review and understand financial statements in order to effectively communicate the results of their business and to build and present summaries of the financial projections and key business assumptions for their startups, including topics such as bottom-up revenue forecasts, pricing strategy, cost estimation, building a financial model, analyzing financial metrics, the relationship of financial projections to business valuation and communicating financial plans and results to investors, the board and other stakeholders. For each workshop, there will need to be a structured course outline, PowerPoint slide deck, an Instructor’s Manual and any other course elements that may be required.
• Facilitating up to four 4-hour finance workshops a month (approximately 4 days including preparation and travel); introducing key concepts and guiding entrepreneurs through models and strategies to help them grow their businesses. The facilitation of courses across the ONE network will involve travel within the GTA and the province.
• Providing mentorship to clients in a workshop setting in financial reporting, planning and business valuation techniques and other business areas. Candidate must possess a solid understanding of the venture creation process to be able to provide just in time, relevant guidance, mentoring and advice to clients during workshops.
• Surveying program attendees after workshops; improving programs based on feedback
• Integrating MaRS’ online educational resources such as articles, videos or workbooks from the Entrepreneur’s Toolkit (www.marsdd.com/toolkit) into the new workshop series where relevant; identifying content gaps where applicable.
• Keeping abreast of entrepreneurship education and current sector and/or domain knowledge, including following current events, breakthroughs, and trends happening in technology industries.
• Responsible for other duties agreed upon from time to time to support the MaRS Entrepreneurship Program team
• MaRS Advisory Services
• Business Acceleration Program (BAP) team
• Clients (primarily ICT, cleantech, and life sciences entrepreneurs/start-ups and including social innovation start-ups)
• Subject matter experts (including advisors, volunteers, etc.)
• Partner organizations and companies (including the 14 Regional Innovation Centres that are part of the Ontario Network of Excellence)
• Recognized accounting degree (CA, CMA, CGA or CPA) or an MBA with specialization in finance or accounting
• Hands-on experience in the technology sector, ideally with angel-funded or venture backed start-ups
• Previously a CFO or Director, Finance for a technology startup an asset and/or experience raising angel and venture capital successfully
• Highly developed analytical and interpretive skills, conceptual thinker, able to solve complex problems
• A background in education, facilitation or experience teaching or coaching is an asset
• Superior facilitation and presentation skills
• Highly developed analytical skills
• Demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship and new technologies and helping start-up companies
• A self-starter with personal accountability and a commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
• Flexibility and adaptability to seize new opportunities and change existing programs to further meet and exceed clients’ needs.
• Must be willing to travel in Ontario.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Date Posted:
- Dec 3, 2013 9:42 AM PST
MaRS connects the communities of science, business and capital and fosters collaboration among them. This happens physically through location of research labs, companies of all sizes, business advisors, investors and professional services within the MaRS Centre and more broadly through hands-on advisory services, entrepreneurial programming, our structured networks and expanding electronic community. Located in... more