Are you an experience frontend engineer proficient with the latest digital trends and with a demonstrable track record in WordPress theme development? Do you want to work in a dynamic, high traffic, multi-platform environment with a heavy mobile focus? We are looking for a Frontend Engineer to join our talented Digital Team at Metro.
As a Frontend Engineer you will work with a busy and energetic team envisioning, prototyping, and developing Metro properties for web, mobile web and the online aspects of our application landscape. Working with an enterprise WordPress stack you will develop website themes, microsites, emailers, sales prototypes and digital ads for Metro’s, high-traffic websites while adhering to best practices for Responsive Design, User Experience, and the latest design trends.
• Develop new, innovative properties and interactive solutions with a user experience first mindset.
• Maintain and expand the freshness of Metro’s web and mobile solutions to meet the brand expectations of our customers, partners, advertisers and employees.
• Provide ongoing support for our digital sales department with regard to prototypes and digital sales tools and where appropriate execution of digital ad initiatives.
• Work in collaboration with the print creative team to create engaging digital experiences on cross-media initiatives.
• Respond proactively to digital opportunities as they arise.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
As a talented incumbent you will have solid experience creating modern websites in WordPress and have strong abilities around the latest design & development trends. As a frontend engineer you will have experience developing scalable products and solutions with an implicit understanding of the technical capabilities and constraints our platforms instill. You will have a strong sense of frontend performance and optimization methodologies, browser and device capabilities, and an ability to work within a content experimentation approach deployment of digital initiatives. In the course of work you will be asked to liaise with other departments and on occasion clients, as such good written and verbal communications skills are also essential.
• 3 years minimum frontend experience.
• Ongoing familiarity with the latest digital trends such as Flat UI, Parallax, Infinite Scrolling, etc.
• Solid experience with WordPress themes
• Strong understanding and recent experience with cross-device web considerations such as Responsive Design, Retina Display, The Visual Web, web typography, iconography, and user experience.
• A solid grasp of frontend development in HTML5, CSS3 – particularly effects and animation – jQuery, social identity and APIs as well use of front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Boilerplate, etc.
• Knowledge of design performance optimization considerations such as spriting, advanced compression, font iconography and scalable imagery.
• Rapid prototyping capabilities
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
• Creative, innovative, and detail oriented.
Nice to Haves:
• News/Media industry experience
• Data Visualization experience
• Experience with HTML5/Canvas ad design or studio platforms
• Familiarity with Content Experimentation
Position: Frontend Engineer
Classification: Interactive Developer
Reports to: Senior Product Manager, Digital
Posting Date: January 8, 2013
If you think you have what it takes for this position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 30th. PLEASE QUOTE “Frontend Engineer” in the subject line. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
- Date Posted:
- Jan 8, 2014 2:22 PM PST
- Metro English Canada
Metro is the largest international newspaper in the world and is published in over 100 major cities in 20 countries across Europe, North & South America and Asia. Metro International's advertising sales have grown at a compound annual rate of 41% since the launch of the first edition in 1995. Metro is Canada’s #1 free national daily newspaper brand and the first national daily to publish in both official... more