A colossal revolution is happening in the way organizations engage with their customers and Vision Critical is leading the charge. We provide technology and expertise for our clients to build and manage online insights communities, engaging with their own consumers and stakeholders on a regular basis through the use of online surveys, discussions, videos and 3D simulations. Our client base includes one third of the world’s top 100 brands and our top-notch professionals are spread across the globe in North America, Europe, Australia, Asia and South Africa. And we are getting recognized for our hard work: Vision Critical was recently named one of the top five SaaS companies and one of the top ten software companies in Canada by Branham300, in addition to being amongst Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50, BC’s Top Employers and Canada’s Top Employers for Young People. Join our team!
Lead Database Engineer, Cloud Engineering Team-Vancouver
The Cloud Engineering team is a band of highly skilled technologists who pride themselves on bringing the latest evolutions in technology, DevOps culture and SaaS architecture and design. We strive to bring the best of the industries innovative technologies and practices into our environment and allow our team to spend less time on daily operations or break/fixes and more time on system design and implementation. We believe that the aim of a SaaS technical operations group is to create elegant system architectures and designs that support product innovation and, if we do it right, are what makes this awesome platform.
About the Role
The Lead DB Engineer will be driving a small team of DBAs to evolve and develop our current Database tier as we grow. The role will be interfacing with the rest of the Cloud Engineering (who collectively own the production infrastructure) and Development (who are actively evolving the platform as fast as possible). The person who we take on would:
• Have responsibility for database administration, high availability, security, and data integrity as well as performance optimization of our 24x7 production and development environments. They just need to “Own” the production databases.
• Work with the Product Architecture group as they design and implement the database structure and architecture. Experience working directly with developers in an agile setting would be great for this.
• Operationally manage backup and recovery procedures, troubleshoot and resolve database related problems, performance monitoring and tuning, disk space management as well as work closely with other members of the Cloud Engineering team to resolve issues.
• Be an expert with Oracle RAC 11g and 12g clusters (including Active Data Guard and other resilience approaches) and be pretty handy with Spotlight/TOAD.
• Have well experience of other data persistence technologies a SaaS operation would use such as SQL Server, MongoDB, Hadoop or RIAK.
The ideal candidate will have responsibilities and experience in these areas:
• Experience working with development groups
• Experience leading a team of DBAs within an infrastructure group
• Have 6+ years of demonstrable database administration experience
• Have experience working with large production databases
• Have experience in business continuity solutions, backup/restore strategies, automation, testing, compliance
• Have experience working with 24/7 SaaS cloud environment with a strong skills in system design for scaling and high availability
• Have experience diagnosing and resolving complex problems; excellent inter-personal verbal and written communication skills
• Have experience of documentation systems, policies and procedures
• Bachelor's degree in computer related field (Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related 4 year degree)
Ready to join our team?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you we invite you to apply online now at https://careers-visioncritical.icims.com/jobs/1333/lead-database-engineer/job
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in Vision Critical and encourage you to constantly check our website for a list of all current opportunities.
- Date Posted:
- Dec 11, 2013 4:03 PM PST
- Vision Critical
At Vision Critical we build online platforms that facilitate two-way communications with customers, employees and citizens in contexts ranging from market research to civic engagement. We help our clients ask better questions, listen more intently, and learn what the people they care about think and say. Over 600 organizations around the globe, including a third of the top 100 brands, have come to rely on the... more