Shopify is a commerce platform that is currently powering over 100,000 stores in 100 different countries. We’re looking for a high-functioning lawyer with 4+ years corporate transactional experience to join our Ottawa office. Reporting to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will play a key role in helping to build Shopify’s legal function as we continue to grow.
As Legal Counsel, you will:
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements to support a fast growing SaaS company, such as agreements with merchants, vendors, partners and suppliers;
- Work closely with the General Counsel on a wide variety of legal matters, including M&A, global compliance, employment, IP and customer-related issues;
- Contribute to legal initiatives to drive efficiency through the development of systems, form documents, best practices and employee training;
- Assist General Counsel with public company readiness.
- 4+ years of corporate transactional work at a top-tier law firm;
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements;
- J.D. with stellar academic credentials;
- License to practice law in Ontario;
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills;
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment while managing multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Attention to detail and initiative to work independently with minimal direction;
- Strong business acumen and ability to advise on business-related legal issues;
- IP, securities law and public company experience (not required, but nice to have);
- Previous in-house experience (not required, but nice to have).
If you are interested in discussing this role, please fill in your info below and provide some details on the most interesting corporate transactions you’ve worked on.
- Date Posted:
- Jun 10, 2014 4:00 AM PDT
Shopify is an Ottawa based commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at their retail location, and everywhere in between. Shopify offers a professional online storefront, a payment solution to accept credit cards, a point of sale system to power retail sales and a card reader to accept payments through a mobile phone. Shopify currently powers over 80,000 active online stores around the world,... more