Shopify is a fast growing commerce company powering over 175,000 stores in 150 different countries. Merchants use our software to power their business across multiple sales channels, including web, tablet and mobile storefronts, through social media, and in their brick-and-mortar and pop-up shops.
As our company grows, so do the complexity and sophistication of the deals we work on. We are looking for an approachable, book and street smart lawyer who can get shit done.
As a member of our commercial legal team, you will support Shopifyâs business development team and take the lead on dynamic technology transactions. You will regularly collaborate with members of Shopifyâs legal team and other internal stakeholders, effectively guiding business strategies and communicating legal risk.
The ideal candidate thrives on change, embraces challenge, is passionate about delivering exceptional legal work and committed to helping build a first-class legal team at Shopify.
As Legal Counsel, you will:
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements and software and technology licenses, with a focus on SaaS and cloud-based services
- Work as a member of cross-functional teams on a wide range of matters affecting every aspect of our business, including privacy, data protection, intellectual property, payments, marketing, and advertising, among others
- Deliver pragmatic and business-focused counsel on tight timelines
As the successful candidate, you have:
- At least 5 years of relevant legal experience, at a top-tier law firm and, preferably, in-house
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements, such as strategic partnership, software and other licensing arrangements, including those related to SaaS, API, SDK and other technology-related offerings
- Experience leading projects and managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Exceptional business judgement, relationship-building skills and creativity
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- A J.D. or LL.B. with stellar academic credentials
- A license to practice law in Ontario
- A kickass sense of humour
- Date Posted:
- Dec 21, 2015 1:00 AM PST
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single... more