The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing shared services to libraries in the Province of British Columbia and increasingly across Canada. The Cooperative is home to Sitka (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-services/sitka/)- a group of libraries using the award-winning open-source Evergreen software (http://evergreen-ils.org/) as its shared Integrated Library System (ILS). In addition, the Cooperative supports a number of new and emerging library services, including a national initiative to provide accessible library materials (http://nnels.ca), a hosting service for library website content management (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-services/libpress/) and a cloud storage solution. Across these services, the Co-op is dedicated to using open source tools and contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The BC Libraries Cooperative is hiring a half-time (18 hours/week | 3 x 6 hours) Linux System Administrator under a fixed-term contract (term negotiable) that may lead to a regular employment position. As a member of a dedicated technical and support team, this position will be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the Cooperative’s technical infrastructure. Must be willing and available for on-call (after hours) rotation and some weekend work for maintenance. Must understand a team’s obligations in providing 24×7 support.
Residency in Vancouver, British Columbia is required for start date. Compensation is negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience.
The position requires the following core skills:
- minimum of two years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian preferred.
- experience managing server hardware
- experience managing data backups
- experience writing documentation and communicating technical information clearly and concisely
- experience managing Apache
- familiarity with RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
Experience with the following would be an asset:
- Experience with Perl programming and Bash scripting
- experience working in or with library organizations
- participation in open source projects
- experience with virtualization systems
- experience with distributed object storage systems (e.g. CEPH)
Competencies and qualifications:
- ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely
- ability to manage stress
- a sense of humour
- appreciation of baked goods or reasonable facsimiles; the ability to make these will be considered an asset.
- ability to work in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location)
- Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements. Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to office at bc.libraries.coop no later than February 14, 2014.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Date Posted:
- Feb 5, 2014 12:46 PM PST
- BC Libraries Cooperative
A 100% Canadian, non-profit community enterprise. We are strategically focussed on the delivery of shared operational infrastructure and resources for our diverse members – nearly 100 institutions and organizations across Canada. Simply put, we strive to improve efficiency, reduce costs and extend service delivery in libraries. more