Shopify is one of the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. We care a great deal about code quality. We ship quality code. Various teams deploy new code many times throughout the day. As a Shopify developer, you should enjoy working the full stack of large scale web applications and be open to jumping onto many different types of projects.
Shopify's production scale is massive. We host 100,000+ online stores and regularly see hundreds of millions of requests a day. When you push out new code, thousands of people will see what you built within seconds. Operating on this level is hard but incredibly rewarding.
We're looking for a developer to join our marketing team in Toronto. Developers on the marketing team not only have an interest in code but growth hacking, analytics and data as well.
It’s hard to know what Shopify is like from the inside when you’re on the outside. So, here’s a helpful Q and A.
Q. What’s the dev culture like at Shopify Toronto?
A. Shopify’s overall development mantra is to ship sustainably fast and we place a high value on minimizing technical debt. We have a strong culture of sharing knowledge and insights with each other. We hold weekly enginnering talks and encourage movement between offices so every developer knows and understands the inner workings of Shopify.
Q. What is the career development like at Shopify?
A. We put a very high importance on career development at Shopify. However, there is no cemented career path or corporate ladder. It is very much up to the individual and how he or she contributes to the company. There are three very important things that differentiate Shopify and prove that we value career acceleration.
1. Weekly one on one meetings with managers.
2. In-house coaching sessions with our talent acceleration team whose sole purpose is to make 1 year at Shopify worth 10 years.
3. Semi-annual 360 degree feedback sessions.
4. Anytime company wide feedback on our internal vault.
- Write back-end code in Ruby
- Work with a world class team of internet marketers, designers, analysts and growth hackers.
- Use tdd to write rock-solid code, utilizing our huge test suite to make changes with confidence
- Rapidly fix bugs or take your time to solve hard problems as well
- Contribute back to the open source community
What we would like to see from you
- Know rails or be ready to learn it quickly
- Interested in analytics and marketing
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Open source contributions in the form of code, documentation, or community (speaking or organizing)
- Strong commitment to quality
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web application
If you're interested, please click here, fill in your information below.
- Date Posted:
- Sep 4, 2015 1:01 AM PDT
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is an Ottawa based commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at their retail location, and everywhere in between. Shopify offers a professional online storefront, a payment solution to accept credit cards, a point of sale system to power retail sales and a card reader to accept payments through a mobile phone. Shopify currently powers over 165,000 active online stores... more