Building disruptive, cutting edge products requires an awesome and experienced Principal Operations Engineer to support rapid growth and new technology adoption in a highly reliable and secure environment.
We’re on the hunt for an experienced Operations Engineer who has "been there and done that" when it comes to setting up and administering systems and services of all kinds both in the cloud and in house. Reporting into our Production Operations team, you will be on a team of the best of the best, riding the rocket ship of growth and dealing with the application operations and engineering challenges that come with the rapid pace. If that sounds like fun, join us!
Read about some of the things we're doing here: http://code.hootsuite.com
Key responsibilities of the Principal Ops Engineer will be to continue to build on and optimize our Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery methodology including Automated Build/Configuration/Test workflows, Deployment, Monitoring and System Management strategies.
Solutions will span all phases of the development life cycle including Lab and Production environments with a heavy cloud presence. This is an opportunity to work with many segments of our company from Product Development to Production Control. You’ll develop a full understanding of our complex services within a short timeframe which can be leveraged to improve our quality of service.
Candidates with a strong interest in e-Commerce service delivery and building scalable and operable infrastructure globally should find this an exceptionally exciting role. It’s also a great chance to drive efficiency enhancements within our company. We’re looking for an experienced team player, who has exceptional technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and team player, a strong driver for results and a champion of continuous improvement.
- Provide proactive engineering and release deliverables, resulting in products and services with more efficiency, lower risk, and reduced customer impact
- Understand the eCommerce platforms’ application functionality, system flow and technology infrastructure
- Develop and demonstrate DevOps principles, including automation resulting in reduced cycle time, adoption of cloud and elastic computing, virtualization in an agile environment
- Work closely with Product Development counterparts on requirements, solution design, issue identification and resolution, problem solving and planning related to production issues and software releases
- Own the eCommerce Application Engineering deliverables within a project, such as Production requirements, Application Engineering design documents, and Release and Implementation plans
- Identify security and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from operating environment, network and application
- Provide feedback and guidance to product development teams on adherence to policies, standards, and best practices
- Evaluate performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity
Required Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years experience of Product Delivery experience in an Engineering Role
- Competencies associated with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a minimum of 4 years proven experience designing, implementing and supporting enterprise level transactional e-Commerce systems
- 10+ years of hands on experience in Product Development, Application or Systems Engineering, Test and Release planning
- Experience with multi-tiered system operations in high volume transaction environments, including web, application, and database operational support and services
- Experience with managing and supporting large-scale high volume environments
- Experience driving operational and technical release requirements into the SDLC design phase
- Constantly alert to opportunities for process improvement through different applications of technology, automation, or other tools
- Adept at building and maintaining strategic relationships with a diverse group of professionals
- Exceptional written, verbal and analytical skills, including the ability to concisely and accurately communicate to program managers, engineers, and senior management
- Experience in a large scale Web and/or e-Commerce environment
- Experience managing environments using Java application servers such as Apache Tomcat
- Experience working in a highly available mission critical production environment
- Experience in related tools & technologies; e.g.: Linux (strongly preferred), Unix, Java, J2EE, Apache, NGINX
- Experience with monitoring tools and technologies; eg.: Cloudwatch, Sensu, Graphite, Nagios
- Experience with server management and provisioning tool (baremetal and cloud)
- Experience with load-balancing, SSL acceleration, caching, and content distribution
- Knowledge of CI/CD workflows and relevant tools
- Agile and tenacious
- Thrive on tackling new challenges; your approach is to jump in with both feet and “roll up your sleeves”
- hallenge the status quo to improve the customer experience
- Date Posted:
- Jul 3, 2014 4:51 PM PDT
- HootSuite Media, Inc.
HootSuite is a social relationship platform for businesses and organizations to collaboratively execute social media strategies across multiple social networks from one secure, web-based dashboard. Launch marketing campaigns, identify and grow audience, and distribute targeted messages using HootSuite’s unique social media dashboard. Streamline team workflow with scheduling and assignment tools and reach audiences... more