As an entrepreneurial backend / systems engineer, you’re caught between two worlds. You’ve toyed with the idea of just taking a job at Google, Facebook, or one of the other established big companies. You know they have more than enough interesting problems to keep you engaged, but you have a nagging feeling that you’ll be just another cog in a multi-thousand engineer machine. You want to work at a startup, but the thought of building yet another social-this or game-mechanics-that doesn’t really appeal to you.
At PagerDuty, we’re building an alerting and incident tracking system to help IT operations groups detect and respond to issues. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between rely on us to alert them quickly when they have operational troubles. We’ve got interesting technical problems in spades, but we’re still very much a startup. We’re looking for an engineer to help us add the features our customers are clamoring for, while helping us maintain our unsurpassed uptime record as we continue to acquire new customers and scale out our systems.
- Scale out our alerting platform to support our rapidly growing customer base.
- Design resilient services and systems that can withstand multiple failures without a sweat.
- Work with the rest of the team to design new features to address customer requirements.
- Build things quickly while maintaining the high level of reliability our users have come to rely on.
- You’ve worked on distributed and highly available systems. You’ve had experience with different system architectures, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t. Concepts like consistency, availability, real-time dispatching, and distributed queueing aren’t merely buzzwords for you.
- You’ve worked on enough mission critical software to know that reliability comes from a fault-tolerant design checked by an extensive test plan. When stuff goes wrong, you know that getting the system back up is only the first step. Fixing the gaps in the design and test plan is where the real work gets done.
- You know your way around a RDBMS - you can design schemas, write queries, and debug index problems. You’re also familiar with some NoSQL technologies and understand their use cases.
- You have a broad background in Computer Science fundamentals. You know that while there might be more than one right way to do something, there’s usually an awful lot of wrong ways.
We don’t hire based on experience with a handful of tools. Instead, we want smart, capable, and experienced people who can learn our tools quickly (and suggest new ones!) as needed. Experience with our stack is just a bonus.
Here’s what we use:
- Ruby / Rails
- Percona Xtradb Cluster
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Amazon AWS (EC2, EBS, S3)
- HAProxy, NGinx
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks your first year, 4 weeks afterwards), regular holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plan options for you and your spouse/family
- Pre-tax commuter benefits, and flex spending accounts
- Daily catered lunches and free snacks, drinks, and beer
- Weekly game nights, monthly hack days and impromptu ping-pong battles
- Convenient office location, close to major public transit
PagerDuty is "9-1-1 dispatch" for IT, helping operations engineers and devops resolve problems with their IT systems as quickly as possible. We’re backed by some of the Valley’s best investors, including Y Combinator and Andreessen Horowitz. We're based in San Francisco, California with a presence in Toronto, Canada. We're obsessive about reliability and ensuring that when your systems are down, the right people get notified every time. PagerDuty is used by thousands of customers globally, from Fortune 500 companies to startups, including HP, Intel, Instagram, Airbnb, Box, Microsoft, Nike, Rackspace, and GitHub. We've got ambitious plans to grow and are seeking passionate people to join our crusade against downtime. We provide a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and opportunities for career growth. For a list of all current openings, check out our careers page.
- Date Posted:
- Jun 14, 2015 10:53 PM PDT
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We build PagerDuty, an IT operations tool that reduces downtime by helping businesses reliably and rapidly respond to high-severity incidents in real time. We’re a 19-person startup backed some of the Valley’s most prominent investors, including Y Combinator and Andreessen Horowitz. PagerDuty is trusted by hundreds of startups, many Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between. We’re... more