Type: Permanent Full-time
Job Code: SYS-A
Reports To: CEO or his designate
Start Date: ASAP
The Low Down
East Side Games, a social and mobile game company located in Gastown, is looking for a Senior Systems Administrator with significant technical expertise and experience to support and develop application infrastructure for efficient 24/7 operation of our games and products. The successful applicant will lead and mentor members of our infrastructure engineering team and will also have a major role in ongoing technical planning.
What You Will Be Doing
- Develop, setup and manage LAMP (Ubuntu) infrastructure for a variety of games and internal tools
- Manage consistency of server and code environments using well-known tools such as Puppet and Capistrano
- Lead DevOps efforts, including automating deployment and maintenance tasks with scripts (Shell, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.), tools, system designs and policies
- Work with developers to troubleshoot and solve application performance issues using tools like XHProf and New Relic
- Maintain and enhance system monitoring tools (Zabbix), and use these tools to identify application issues
- Research, test and implement new support technologies and systems as required.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the systems engineering team
- Establish security policies and controls for servers, employee equipment and office.
- Manage data backups from servers and developer machines
- Track tasks and manage team hours using Assembla project management tools
(Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive.)
What You Need
- 5+ years of Systems Administration experience in high-growth Linux server environments
- Expert knowledge of building and optimizing LAMP application stacks
- Excellent understanding of the technical challenges applicable to web applications in relation to networking, scalability, virtualization, etc.
- Proven experience building and maintaining tools to aid the development and deployment of web applications
- Proven experience in maintenance and monitoring of system infrastructure
- Proven ability to successfully navigate and perform in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment, and effectively multi-task multiple priorities in a team-oriented setting
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work both independently on projects and cooperatively with the rest of the team
- Desire to continue to develop skills with self-study and by attending vendor training/conferences as well as company sponsored courses
- Availability to support a 24/7 operation on a rolling on-call basis is required
Nice To Have Experience
- Couchbase or other clustered NoSQL database systems.
- Tuning MySQL servers and databases and an understanding of sharded architectures.
- Working with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, CloudFront, Redshift, SES, etc.).
What’s In It For You?
- Competitive Salary
- Paid vacation…2 weeks the first year…3 weeks when you hit your 1-year anniversary
- Extended health benefits
- An empowering, collaborative, casual, & flexible environment
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, get in touch with us!
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in East Side Games!
- Date Posted:
- May 23, 2014 10:24 AM PDT
- East Side Games
East Side Games is a proudly independent and profitable game studio creating humorous and addicting games for mobile and social platforms. We have a collaborative, creative, and fun culture that is focused on building hit titles in a great work environment. Our talented, highly-motivated team believes in constantly improving; we are not afraid to take ownership and meet challenges head-on in order to reach our... more