Type: Permanent Full-time
Job Code: 0213 - 155
Reports To: CEO or his designate
Start Date: ASAP
The Low Down
East Side Games, a social and mobile game company located in Gastown, is looking for a Senior Systems Administrator with significant technical expertise and experience to support and develop application infrastructure for efficient 24/7 operation of our games and products. The successful applicant will lead and mentor members of our infrastructure engineering team and will also have a major role in ongoing technical planning.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Develop, setup & manage LAMP (Ubuntu) infrastructure for a variety of games & internal & tools.
- Manage consistency of server & code environments using well-known - tools such as Puppet & Capistrano.
- Lead DevOps efforts, including automating deployment & maintenance tasks with scripts (Shell, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.), tools, system designs & policies.
- Work with developers to troubleshoot & solve application performance issues using tools like XHProf & New Relic.
- Maintain & enhance system monitoring tools (Zabbix), & use these tools to identify application issues.
- Research, test & implement new support technologies & systems as required.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the systems engineering team.
- Establish security policies & controls for servers, employee equipment & office.
- Manage data backups from servers & developer machines.
- Track tasks & manage team hours using Assembla project management tools.
- Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all inclusive.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 5+ years of Systems Administration experience in high-growth Linux server environments.
- Expert knowledge of building & optimizing LAMP application stacks.
- Excellent understanding of the technical challenges applicable to web applications in relation to networking, scalability, virtualization, etc.
- Proven experience building & maintaining tools to aid the development & deployment of web applications.
- Proven experience in maintenance & monitoring of system infrastructure.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, CloudFront, Redshift, SES, etc.).
- Proven ability to successfully navigate & perform in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment, & effectively multi-task multiple priorities in a team-oriented setting.
- Strong communication skills & the ability to work both independently on projects & cooperatively with the rest of the team.
- Desire to continue to develop skills with self-study & by attending vendor training/conferences as well as company sponsored courses.
- Availability to support a 24/7 operation on a rolling on-call basis is required.
NICE TO HAVES
- Couchbase or other clustered NoSQL database systems.
- Tuning MySQL servers & databases & an understanding of sharded architectures.
What’s In It For You?
- Competitive Salary
- Paid vacation…2 weeks the first year…3 weeks when you hit your 1-year anniversary
- Extended health benefits
- An empowering, collaborative, casual, & flexible environment
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, get in touch with us!
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in East Side Games!
- Date Posted:
- Aug 12, 2015 3:41 PM PDT
- East Side Games
- East Side Games
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
East Side Games is a proudly independent and profitable game studio creating humorous and addicting games for mobile and social platforms. We have a collaborative, creative, and fun culture that is focused on building hit titles in a great work environment. Our talented, highly-motivated team believes in constantly improving; we are not afraid to take ownership and meet challenges head-on in... more