Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and weâre constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. Weâre looking for back-end developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If youâre interested in helping us build the future of Shopify, this jobâs for you. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We host tens of thousands of online stores, and see hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds â a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
You'll need to have:
- Experience with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (weâre mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- A strong commitment to quality
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
- Learning and growing constantly
Here's how to apply:
If youâre interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the âApply nowâ button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Kayla, our Technical Recruiter.
We're a product company and we value those who know our product.
Build a Shopify store if you haven't already (Don't spend more than 20 minutes to an hour on this - it's meant to get you familiar with the product, not to build a professional looking store). After hitting "Apply Now", add the link to your store in the field below.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background isÂ thiscloseÂ to what weâre looking for, please consider applying, even if you arenât able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.Â
- Date Posted:
- Dec 10, 2015 12:38 PM PST
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single... more