Who are we?
United Bible Societies (UBS) is a global network of Bible Societies working in over 200 countries and territories across the world. We believe the Bible is for everyone so we are working towards the day when everyone can access the Bible in the language and medium of their choice.
A key part of the international structure in the United Bible Societies is the Institute for Computer Assisted Publishing, a department dedicated to creating software tools for translation, archiving, and publication of the Bible and related resources, and to ensure that all Bible Societies are equipped to use these tools effectively.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a web application developer to contribute to ongoing work on the Digital Bible Library™ (DBL) and companion web applications and web services. This includes software design, development, testing, deployment, and support.
DBL is an online digital asset and licensing management platform developed and maintained by the United Bible Societies. DBL gathers, validates, and safeguards a large collection of quality, standardized, digital Scripture texts and publication assets, in hundreds of languages — all contributed by a growing number of partnering translation agencies. DBL enables the secure licensing and distribution of these resources to approved internal or external ministry partners. In this way DBL seeks to empower others to reach people from every tribe, in every nation, with the power of God’s Word in their heart language.
Role and responsibilities
- Design, build, test and maintain features of the Digital Bible Library and related websites and web services.
- Design and implementation of web APIs to support interoperation with a wide range of digital publishing and Bible translation partners.
- Integrate data from back-end services and databases.
- Create and maintain software documentation.
Technical knowledge and skills required
- Self-starter with the ability to gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs.
- Comfortable with test/behavior driven development and experience with both writing tests and designing testable software.
- In-depth knowledge of modern HTML/CSS and a solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices.
- Familiarity with Python and Python-based web application frameworks is a strong asset.
- Experience with RESTful API design and implementation (XML/JSON web services).
- Familiarity with XML manipulation and validation.
- Familiarity with relational databases and ORM frameworks.
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services such as EC2 and S3 is an asset.
- Familiar with using source control (Mercurial or Git).
- Open, willing and energetic towards learning new web and mobile software technologies and frameworks.
Personal qualities and competencies
- Comfortable working in a Christian organisation with sensitivity to the breadth of the church support that UBS enjoys
- Ability to work cross-culturally
- Ability to work collaboratively, and evidence of working well within a team environment.
- Ability to manage working time and working across distance and time zones (virtual working)
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to explain complex technical matters simply.
- Self-motivated and open to continuous learning and development
How to apply
Please apply directly with resume to email@example.com
- Date Posted:
- Mar 30, 2016 7:20 AM PDT
- United Bible Societies - ICAP
- United Bible Societies - ICAP
- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
United Bible Societies (UBS) is a global network of Bible Societies working in over 200 countries and territories across the world. We believe the Bible is for everyone so we are working towards the day when everyone can access the Bible in the language and medium of their choice. A key part of the international structure in the United Bible Societies is the Institute for Computer Assisted... more