What You'll Do
We're looking for a hardcore mobile engineer to lead our mobile team on the mission to build our cutting edge native mobile clients. This is the piece of software that students all over the world use in class to interact with the Top Hat platform. We are looking for someone who is extremely technical, but also understands the nuances of a beautiful mobile experience.
• Come work here because we're making a dent in the universe
• Come work here because we have a brilliant team
• Come work here because we care about software craftsmanship
• Come work here because we don't take ourselves too seriously
• Come work here because we care about and iterate on our development process
Your work will touch hundreds of thousands of paying customers (500,000 and growing every day). We only officially launched a little over two years ago, but we’re already profitable and are growing like crazy! Lucky for you, we’re small but mighty. That means you get to touch everything mobile and sometimes even help out on front-end, back-end, database code—whatever your little hacker heart desires! And what’s more? Everything you touch will be yours. Well, kind of. We follow the “Facebook approach,” meaning we give developers complete ownership of features.
There are three key things that we look for:
• You need to be very smart and able to learn quickly.
• You have the ability to lead a team, it would be great if you have some experience doing this.
• You need to have at least a few years of mobile development experience (through work or personal projects.)
• You need to be able to architect robust, maintainable systems, not just hack together code for one-off projects.
You will be working on Android and iOS mobile applications and working closely with our design team and our backend team to help bring beautiful, usable, and fast mobile designs to life.
The server side is written in Python on Django, with a MySQL database. In addition we use Node.js and SockJS for our real time components and recently created a shiny new REST API. Our systems all run on Amazon web services.
You should be comfortable with most of the following:
• Current knowledge with either Android or iOS programming (or both!)
• Mobile network programming (client-server)
• REST APIs
• Automated unit and integration testing
We think the best sign of a good developer is interesting projects they've done on their own time, not just things they were assigned by their boss or in university. So please showcase any cool side projects, open source contributions or community involvement.
About Top Hat
If you’ve been to university, you understand the nut Top Hat is trying to crack. Your professor starts to talk, and you really do have every intention of listening. But within about five minutes, your good intentions fly out the window and you begin to surf Facebook, catch some Zz’s, or if you’re feeling really ambitious start working on a problem set for a completely unrelated class. When you join our team, you’ll be working on classroom interaction software and help higher education find its mojo!
The fabulous life on the Top Hat engineering team comes with other sweet perks too.
• We have hack-a-thons, where developers get to spend time working on ideas they are passionate about.
• There’s also lots of free deliciousness. What’s up catered Lunch, Breakfast and unlimited and drinks? Oh, and did we mention StarCraft throw-downs at lunch?
• located at College subway station, with subsidized metro pass
• Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
• Our investors' portfolio companies include Salesforce, Yammer & box.net. We're in good hands and in good company.
• Competitive health and dental benefits
• We are looking for people who want to grow with us and are in it for the long haul.
• We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named one of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting)
• You can dress at your leisure (as long as you are fine with the engineering traditions of Plaid Tuesdays and Tip Top Fridays!)
- Date Posted:
- Jan 29, 2015 9:26 AM PST
- Top Hat
- Top Hat
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Top Hat helps make every lecture count by transforming students' mobile devices into powerful tools for active learning. Using Top Hat, professors can ask questions, moderate discussions, host tournaments and more to help professors teach and students learn more effectively. Top Hat is used in over 400 universities around the world, including Harvard, Stanford & the University of Waterloo. more