What You’ll Do:
The Top Hat Platform provides software tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging.We're looking for a hardcore mobile engineer to help build our cutting edge native mobile clients. This is the piece of software that students all over the world use in class to interact with the Top Hat platform. We are looking for someone who is extremely technical, but also understands the nuances of a beautiful mobile experience.
Your work will touch hundreds of thousands of paying customers (300,000 and growing every day). We only officially launched a little over two years ago, but we’re already profitable and are growing like crazy! Lucky for you, we’re small but mighty. That means you get to touch everything mobile and sometimes even help out on front-end, back-end, database code—whatever your little hacker heart desires! And what’s more? Everything you touch will be yours. Well, kind of. We follow the “Facebook approach,” meaning we give developers complete ownership of features.
Who You Are:
There are three key things that we look for:
• You need to be very smart and able to learn quickly.
• You need to have at least a few years of mobile development experience (through work or personal projects.)
• You need to be able to architect robust, maintainable systems, not just hack together code for one-off projects.
You will be working on Android and iOS mobile applications and working closely with our design team and our backend team to help bring beautiful, usable, and fast mobile designs to life.
The server side is written in Python on Django, with a MySQL database. In addition we use Node.js and SockJS for our real time components and recently created a shiny new REST API. Our systems all run on Amazon web services.
You should be comfortable with most of the following:
• Current knowledge with either Android or iOS programming (or both!)
• Mobile network programming (client-server)
• REST APIs
• Automated unit and integration testing
• We think the best sign of a good developer is interesting projects they've done on their own time, not just things they were assigned by their boss or in university. So please showcase any cool side projects, open source contributions or community involvement.
Why You Want to Join Us:
If you’ve been to university, you understand the nut Top Hat is trying to crack. Your professor starts to talk, and you really do have every intention of listening. But within about five minutes, your good intentions fly out the window and you begin to surf Facebook, catch some Zz’s or, if you’re feeling really ambitious, start working on a problem set for a completely unrelated class. When you join our team, you’ll be helping higher education find its mojo!
Your work will touch hundreds of thousands of paying customers (300,000 and growing every day). Plus, you’ll be helping the world’s best and brightest have fun and learn more. We officially launched a little over four years ago, and we’re already profitable and are growing like crazy! Lucky for you, we’re small but mighty. That means you get to influence everything we do.
Top Hat helps professors make every lecture count by transforming their students' mobile devices into powerful classroom engagement tools.
Built upon the principles of active learning, the motivation behind Top Hat is the fact that students retain more by participating rather than simply observing a class or lecture.
Here are a few of the many reasons you want to join us:
• Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
• Plaid Tuesdays & Formal Fridays. Our code is beautiful and so is our attire!
• What’s up free deliciousness? We have a chef who cooks us delightful breakfast and lunch every day.
• Our investors' portfolio companies include Salesforce, Yammer & box.net. We're in good hands and in good company.
• Competitive health and dental benefits
• We are looking for people who want to grow with us and are in it for the long haul.
• We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named one of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting)
- Date Posted:
- Sep 23, 2014 10:35 AM PDT
- Top Hat
Top Hat helps make every lecture count by transforming students' mobile devices into powerful tools for active learning. Using Top Hat, professors can ask questions, moderate discussions, host tournaments and more to help professors teach and students learn more effectively. Top Hat is used in over 400 universities around the world, including Harvard, Stanford & the University of Waterloo. more