About the Gig:
We're looking for a hardcore mobile engineer to join our mobile team on the mission to build our cutting edge native mobile clients. This is the piece of software that students all over the world use in class to interact with the Top Hat platform. We are looking for someone who is extremely technical, but also understands the nuances of a beautiful mobile experience.
Your work will touch hundreds of thousands of paying customers (500,000 and growing every day). Lucky for you, we’re small but mighty. That means you get to touch everything mobile and sometimes even help out on front-end, back-end, database code—whatever your little hacker heart desires!
There are three key things that we look for:
- You need to be very smart and able to learn quickly.
- You need to have at least a few years of mobile development experience (through work or personal projects).
- You need to be able to architect robust, maintainable systems, not just hack together code for one-off projects.
You will be working closely with our design and backend teams to help bring beautiful, usable, and fast mobile designs to life. The server side is written in Python on Django, with a MySQL database. In addition we use Node.js and SockJS for our real time components and recently created a shiny new REST API. Our systems all run on Amazon Web Services.
You should be comfortable with most of the following:
- Current knowledge with either Android or iOS programming (or both!)
- Mobile network programming (client-server)
- REST APIs
- Automated unit and integration testing
We think the best sign of a good developer is interesting projects they’ve done. Tell us your about the cool stuff you’ve built!
About Top Hat:
Top Hat is a high growth education technology company; we provide tools to make teaching more interactive, fun and engaging. Top Hat helps professors make every lecture count by transforming mobile devices into powerful classroom engagement tools.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- We have hack-a-thons, where developers get to spend time working on ideas they are super passionate about.
We offer breakfast and catered lunch every day!
- Oh, and did we mention StarCraft Streetfighter throw-downs at lunch?
- Conveniently located right by College & Yonge and we can help subsidize your metro pass.
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named #1 of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting!)
- Our dress code is casual and we hope you'll get behind our Top Hat traditions of Plaid Tuesdays and Tip Top Fridays!
- Date Posted:
- Jan 16, 2016 4:56 PM PST
- Top Hat
- Top Hat
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Top Hat helps make every lecture count by transforming students' mobile devices into powerful tools for active learning. Using Top Hat, professors can ask questions, moderate discussions, host tournaments and more to help professors teach and students learn more effectively. Top Hat is used in over 400 universities around the world, including Harvard, Stanford & the University of Waterloo. more